History

West Boise grew rapidly in the late 1950's, necessitating the construction of several new schools.  The new Hillcrest Country Club subdivision caused the populations of Whitney and McKinley Schools to increase dramatically.  In 1958, a new school was built south of the subdivision.  Hillcrest Elementary School opened with six rooms.  The area growth continued and seven more rooms were added in 1959.  The next year five additional rooms were added, bringing the total to eighteen.  Hillcrest's roof was replaced in 1994.  As with the case with other schools, the original flat roof leaked like a sieve by the late 80's, and a hipped roof was built to keep students and teachers dry.  Several new classrooms were added when the roof was replaced.